II-VI A&D's Team Expertise
II-VI A&D’s expertise is based on the long-term experience and accomplishments of its researchers and engineers. Selected recent publications from II-VI's research team can be found here.
II-VI has well established expertise and provides unique technical solutions in the following areas of development:
- Wavefront and beam control hardware including beam steering and deformable mirrors, wavefront sensors, beam and image quality sensors, and controllers.
- Design and integration of adaptive optics systems for directed energy, laser illumination, target tracking, designation, active and passive imaging, atmospheric sensing, and characterization
- Numerical simulation of atmospheric effects and their impact on performance of various optical systems; analysis includes target in-the-loop propagation, anisoplanatic imaging, speckle, thermal blooming, and refractive effects. High-speed wave-optics simulation tools are based on GPU/CUDA technology.
- Conformal optical systems including fiber-array based adaptive laser beam projection systems, sparse imaging systems, coherent LIDAR, laser tracking, and remote sensing systems.
- Advanced control and signal/image processing algorithms for mitigation of negative impact of non-linear optical, turbulence (atmospheric and underwater), and jitter effects.
- Adaptive free-space laser communication systems that are robust, light-weight, secure, and operate at high data rates for advanced communications.
Conformal Optical Systems
II-VI developed a new concept and algorithms for conformal imaging systems composed of an array of sub-apertures (telescopes). Read more >
Mathematical and Numerical Simulation Techniques
Unique mathematical methods and computational techniques developed by II-VI’s team, which allow comprehensive numerical analysis of atmospheric optical systems in realistic operating conditions. Read more >
Adaptive Free Space Optical Communication Systems
II-VI offers innovative, modular, eye-safe optical and hybrid (Optical/RF) communication systems based on arrays of synchronously-operated small-size adaptive laser communication nodes. Read more >
Wavefront and Beam Control Techniques
II-VI's approach to compensating the atmospheric effects combines advanced wavefront sensors with an optimization algorithm called SPGD, for "stochastic parallel gradient descent." Read more >